CMA’s NextGen program is designed to help college and conservatory students, recent alumni, and young professionals transition into rewarding careers.
For only $15, anyone 25 years or younger may take advantage of this special session and access conference activities including the keynote, ensemble showcases, sessions and workshops, and networking events.
NextGen Session: Meeting the Moment as a Musician in 2022
Sunday, January 8, 12:30-2:00 PM
To succeed as an ensemble musician today, an artist must adapt to an ever-changing music landscape, deploy multiple skill sets, collaborate effectively, and communicate the value of their music across a wide range of platforms and to a variety of people. Those who have entered the professional music world in the past two years are finding this is less straightforward, yet more critical than ever. CMA invites our NextGen participants to attend this combined workshop and panel, to equip themselves with the tools and insights necessary to move their music and career forward in 2022.
In attending this two-part workshop, attendees will:
- Reflect on themselves and their artistic identity, to better understand and articulate their work objectively
- Network with other professionals and conference attendees, deploying techniques and strategies to present yourself and your music effectively.
Learn about current and projected trends from a diverse panel of music industry experts in the areas of marketing and publicity, presenting, funding, management, performing, and more. Discussion topics will include:
- Creating a life-long and sustainable career as a working musician.
- What funders, presenters, and managers want and need from musicians and ensembles in the current and future industry.
- What’s changed, what hasn’t, and what opportunities have emerged for musicians as a result of the pandemic.
There will be time for participants to ask questions of the panel of experts.
Nicole Mlynczak – Associate Director of Career Services, Berklee College of Music
Jordyn Davis – Grant Programs Associate, Chamber Music America | Bassist, Composer, Songwriter, Vocalist, and Multi-instrumentalist
Daniel Kellogg – President, Young Concert Artists
Anya Nykyforiak – Music Specialist, National Endowment for the Arts
Jennie Oh Brown – Flutist, Executive and Artistic Director, Picosa | Executive and Artistic Director, 2021 Ear Taxi Festival
Amanda Sweet – Founder and President, Bucklesweet